Saturday, May 5, 2012

Lake Monona 20k

Do you really want to hear about yet another race?  Probably not, but here goes anyway.

The race started at 9am and we got there a bit later than I would've liked.  Parking wasn't as difficult as others had made it sound, but carpooling is the way to go.  The weather was in the high 50s when we got there, predicted to be in the low 60s by the time we finished.  It was a bit humid and the wind was rather chilly at first.  Once we ran a couple of blocks to warm up, I knew that a short sleeved shirt and running capris would be sufficient.

The race started at Winnequah park and goes clockwise around the lake. For the first 3 miles, I felt fatigue in my legs and mentally rallied to keep up a pace.  The first 3 miles were hilly and as usual, I slow considerably in the second mile, watching scores of runners pass me by.  I was at 26:39 for the first 5k.  I'm thinking, "not bad," if I can keep up a consistent 9 min/mile pace.  Around mile 4, we get on John Nolen drive and for the next 2 miles, I'm fighting a nearly head-on wind.  I cross the 10k line at about 55:30.  Finally, at mile 7, I hit my stride and the next 3 miles come easily.  I keep pace with a few runners around me.  At mile 8, I start to feel hunger and wish I had more of a breakfast, or at least carried some energy gel or something on me.  I had started and ran the first mile with my friend Barry, who after the first mile started gaining quite a bit of distance ahead of me.  A little after the 9th mile marker, I pass him.  Shortly after mile 10, I feel my energy level drop significantly.  Half a mile later, I try to rally, reminding myself that there were only 2 miles to go.  The last few hills just about killed me.  I thought for sure, I'd have nothing left in me to make a sprint for the finish.  Still, when I made the final turn, I found a little something and sped up just a bit, passing a couple people in the last 1/4 mile for the finish line.  My final time was 1:52:55.  I was hoping for closer to 1:51:00, which would make for more even split times, but even at 1:52:55, my split times weren't too terribly paced.  I ran a pace of 9:06 min/mile, about 20 seconds faster than Black Earth. 

The Lake Monona race course is hilly and winding, making it not a particularly fast course.  The race had 833 finishers which is significantly smaller than Crazy Legs.  No wave starts so there were still some dodge and evade at the beginning.  By mile 4, people have found their spots and I start to recognize the people around me.  The race is followed by a party at the end with beer and Quaker Steak and Lube chicken wings.  However, as a friend of mine pointed out, good racing conditions make for terrible party conditions.

Having ran 3 races now in the Madison area, I would rank them in the following order: Black Earth, Lake Monona 20k, Crazy Legs.  Run Crazy Legs to support the football team and because it's fun to be in a crowd of costume wearing runners.  Run Black Earth for time, personal progress, as a way to jump start the running season, and to be inspired by the elite runners.  Run Lake Monona for a chipped time, more interesting scenic course, and to celebrate with a beer at the end. 

The Madison half marathon is in 3 weeks.  My goal a month ago was to finish under 2 hours.  With this most recent time, I should be right on track to finishing barely under 2 hours.

1 comment:

cl said...

Official chipped 10k split times came out. I must've remembered incorrectly when I crossed the 10k line. I must've read the clock to be 56:30 rather than 55:30. The official chipped time is 56:00, which I'm rather happy with, since it means my splits are 56/57, much closer to even. However, this makes my first 5k way too fast. Next time, I'm going to avoid following my friend Barry out for the first mile.