Monday, July 22, 2013

Bugline Recreational Trail

This post would be more interesting if it were punctuated by some photos, but I don't run with a phone, so no photos.

I was in Milwaukee this weekend and decided that after weeks of training on the treadmill, it was time to take it on the road.  We had a bit of relief from the heat this weekend: only high 80s as opposed to high 90s.  The Bugline Recreational Trail is in Waukesha County, but the start of it is pretty close to Milwaukee County Line.  I started actually about a mile in on the trail.  It's a gravel stone path with some road crossings.  Every mile was marked with a sign next to a wooden bench.  The path is mostly tree-lined, though there were a few areas where I was under the blazing sun.  I tried to run faster past those areas. Between the mile 3 and mile 4 marker was this stone quarry just beyond the bushes on either side of the path.  The quarry was no longer in use and had this beautifully blue quarry pond.  It was completely unexpected and I was reluctant to turn around about a half mile past the mile 4 marker because I wanted to see what else laid on this path.

I was on the treadmill for most of the last few weeks because of my knee and left foot, and I think the time on the bouncier treadmill surface helped.  I didn't feel any pain on my run.  I was not, however, adjusted to the heat and humidity.  All told, I ran about 7 miles in 1 hour and 15 minutes or so.  My shoes picked up a nice selection of rocks. 
  

No comments: