Monday, May 28, 2012

Madison Half Marathon

I worked hard for this medal.
The full marathon was canceled due to a forecast high of 93 on Sunday.  Temperatures were supposed to reach 80 before 10 am.  The Green Bay marathon a week before had also high but not as bad temperatures and the race directors had to shut down the course about 2.5 hours after the race started.  Trying to head off a similar situation, the Madison full marathon was canceled.  Registered runners got some sort of credit for next year's marathon and were all automatically transferred to running the half marathon.  We were originally required to finish the half marathon in 3 hours before they pulled us off the course, but due to the heat, they left the course open for an additional hour and a half.  I was disappointed that my very first half marathon would be completed in less than ideal conditions.

After Lake Monona 20k, running the half marathon in under 2 hours looked to be very possible.  I was expected to come in just seconds before the 2 hour mark, so I knew there would be little leeway.  I had to be running my best.  Unfortunately, the heat picked up in Madison not long after that 20k race and with a bothersome knee, my training took a dive.  I was struggling to get 5 miles in, and was only finally able to work up to a 10k in 80 degree weather about 5 days before the half.  This would be tough.  I began preparing myself to let go of my original goal.  I have had little to no training in these kinds of conditions and risking heat exhaustion or something worse might take me out of future races.

But it was hard to let go.  When I first registered for this race in January, I thought I'd be running 12 min/mile and finishing in 2.5 hours.  The distance was the goal.  As I trained through February and March, I suspected my pace was closer to 10 min/mile.  "It'll be awesome if I can keep this pace," I thought. Then I ran Black Earth, and was quite satisfied with 9:25 min/mile.  Okay, I thought, my goal  now is to eventually run the half marathon in under 2 hours.  I thought it'd take me a couple more half marathons, but I wanted to reach that goal.  Then came Lake Monona and I ran it even faster.  Had that 20k race been just a smidge longer, I would've been right under 2 hours.  Somewhere I began to have a glimmer of hope for a even slightly faster pace in the half.  

No such luck.  Before I even hit the first mile marker, I was sweating like I'd already been running 7 or 8 miles.  This isn't good.  I barely broke a sweat in my 10k run five days earlier in 85 degree weather.  The humidity is worse than I thought.  When I did hit the first mile marker, I'm more than ready for an aid station though none would be around until a mile later.  Finally, I get my first sip of water.  It felt like nothing going down my throat, and I start thinking about the next aid station.  Shortly after mile 3, I hear someone yell my name.  I convince myself that I'd have to at least make it to mile 4 because that's when things will start to feel better.  Mile 4 comes and the next bit of water feels like it's doing something at least.  I keep going, mentally convincing myself that I run 10k's all the time and I should at least make it to 10k.  I make the turnaround near Maple Bluff and come back on Sherman Avenue.  The runner next to me tells his friends who were cheering him on from their driveway that he's going to quit at mile 8 and asks them to meet him there.  By the time we turn onto Thornton around mile 6, a nice breeze picked up and I'm thinking, "Okay, this feels more doable."  Not feeling good yet, but if it stays this way, I should hit my stride soon.  At least, I'm feeling cooler.  I pick up some mint chocolate Gu at the next aid station, eat half of it before deciding that it's gross and tossing it.  I start to feel my left knee a bit, but I ignore it.  I turn on Willy Street a mile later, and the breeze has died.  At this point, I'm picking up two water cups at every aid station.  I'd drink one and a half and pour the rest on top of me.

I'm in the lower left corner,
having just turned onto John Nolen.
I turn onto John Nolen shortly after mile 8 with no cloud cover whatsoever.  The temperature has jumped 5 degrees, and I've lost count of everything.  I'm not sure what mile marker we're at anymore, when the next aid station is, or who's running next to me.  I'm just struggling for each step at this point.  When I get to the Monona terrace, I'm disappointed that it's only mile 9.   My muscles feel like I've been running for 12 already.  I try to look ahead to see where we turn around on John Nolen for some encouragement, but the long line of people seem never ending.  I stop right before the 10 mile marker and walk for 30 seconds, not realizing that I maybe should've crossed the timing pad first before walking.  1 hour 38 minutes and change on the race clock.  I do some mental math and am pretty sure I can't finish in less than 2 hours.  But maybe, I still hope, what with the few minutes it took me to actually cross the start line, I still have a tiny tiny shot.  Shortly after, the 2:00 pace group passes me on the other side headed back up to the Capitol and Jesse passes me as well.  I'm now hoping I don't see the 2:10 pace group.


When we finally do turnaround at mile 11.1, I've about had enough and debated just walking for the last 2 miles.  At this point, I don't care what my time is.  I'll still finish, I reasoned, and any goals of a sub-2:00 finish are long out the window.  I can feel the gigantic blister forming on my left toe and I'm starting to feel the pain from my right shoe being laced too tightly.  But I keep going because I just want it to be over.  I see 2:20 pace group on the other side as I head back up John Nolen.  Shortly before mile 12 marker, I realize I'm starving.  Despite the unusually large breakfast, I've now expended it all.  People are just passing me at this point.  Not willing to risk heatstroke, I stop and walk again for about 20 seconds when I feel myself rapidly heating up.  I grab an orange slice as I turn onto Broom.  I feel like I can't hydrate enough and am dreaming about guzzling liters of water at the finish line.  All the spectators are reminding us runners that there's less than a mile to go.  It helps and I make my best effort to at least maintain pace.  The last hill up West Washington was what I had dreaded, but with how horrible the last 12 miles have been, I didn't even notice the incline.  I finally turn up at the Capitol with a tenth of a mile left to go.  Eager for it to all be over, I pick up speed and keep going until I cross the timing pad.

Afterwards, I'm determined to get that medal before I stumble along for water.  I grab cups of water/gatorade and gulp them.  I find chocolate milk next and I reluctantly grab one.  I was certain milk would only make me feel nauseous, yet desperate for more liquids, I drank it.  I was surprised at how good it felt.  Clearly, what I also needed were calories.  I grab yet another chocolate milk and bottled water at the next bucket.  I find a tent with fruit and I inhale half a banana.  My consumption finally slows by the time I got to the tent with sandwiches and potato chips.

This was easily the toughest run I've ever done.  I've never managed to train anywhere near this distance in these kind of conditions.  In retrospect, it was probably not the smartest race I've ever done.  I probably put myself at risk for heat exhaustion and other injuries.  I wish I could say I was glad that I did it, but I never once felt great during the race.  It all just sucked.  I'm mostly glad I survived with only a blister and a sore right foot. 

My splits were the following
5k- 27:09
10k- 56:44
15k- 1:28:02
11.1 mi- 1:47:32
Finish- 2:10:17 (9:57 min/mile)

Notice my first 10k splits were close to what I was running for the Lake Monona 20k.  And then notice where the temperature jumps 5 degrees between 10k and 15k, and how I just about died in the last 2 miles.

I signed up for the Haunted Hustle half marathon in October.  I'm looking forward to accomplishing a sub-2:00 half marathon.

1 comment:

Ben said...

Congratulations! Nice medal. I think your time is impressive given the conditions and that it was your first time. Add a check to that bucket list.