Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Marathon Training Schedule

So the whole "make it to 13.1 mile" philosophy that I used when training for the half marathon didn't translate so well in training for the marathon.  I don't know if it's because of the weather that pales in comparison to the awesome spring last year, or if my excitement for running is just lower than doing it all for the first time.  Last year, each new distance where I went yet further was exciting and motivating.  So far, I'm just trying to get back to where I was.

Last Thursday, I did about 10 miles.  It was a slow 10 mile run, and I was achy the day after.  Then I made the mistake of going to yoga class where we did a bunch of warrior poses that made me use the same running muscles.  But Saturday, I went out and did 4 miles, and everything chilled out.  I felt great and recovered Sunday, and I breathed a sigh of relief.  The 10 mile run out of nowhere hadn't been the best idea.  I had only ran at most 6 miles at that point, and not very consistently.  It was a risk, and I very well could've been injured.

My feet is gaining back all the calluses I had developed last year.  I'm hoping they stay calluses and don't develop into blisters that will be more difficult to deal with.  At this point, I'm feeling pretty good about the half marathon in 2 weeks.  I'm still rather nervous about the marathon though.  I didn't really leave much leeway for things going wrong in the training, such as injuries, illness, etc.

I'm sort of following this 16 week training schedule.  I'm currently on week 7, aiming for 12 miles this Thursday.  There are some modification in the schedule due to upcoming races with various distances, but I'm keeping the long runs roughly the same and aiming for at least the same mileage each week.  The week of Black Earth will be interesting.  

No comments: