Thursday, February 7, 2013

New Year, Fresh Start

I'm way behind on this marathon training.  I took a break from running after the Berbee Derby.  I was already burned out from all the races and barely trained at all for the Berbee.  After the Berbee, I ran sporadically, roughly 3 miles every 2 weeks, just enough to not go completely soft, but not enough to call it much of anything. 

New Year's Day, I went out and did 3 miles because I ran last year on New Year's Day and that seems an appropriate tradition to maintain.  No resolutions, just running on New Year's Day.  Then a trip out of town meant that whatever jump start I was hoping to get on my training went out the window.  Plus, the weather has been a particularly good at removing all motivation and the SERF wasn't open over winter break.  I had all my excuses.

Two weeks ago I did a little math and realized I was vastly vastly behind where I needed to be for my marathon training.  I could go out and do 5 miles once, but I couldn't do 6 miles 3 times a week like I had been doing late last spring.  But I kept at it, running as often as I felt motivated to do and as far as I felt I needed.  I ran a 10k in under an hour on the treadmill yesterday, and I'll probably go for another 4-6 tomorrow. 

I'm surprised by how quickly it all comes back.  I feel pretty secure that in only a couple more weeks, I could run a half.  I figure if I get to 12 by the end of February, and 20 by the end of March, I'll have a good 4 weeks to taper for the marathon.  Or I could just make a last minute switch to the Flying Pig half marathon. 

No comments: